1 coating consisting of a thin layer of superior wood glued to a base of inferior wood [syn: veneering]
2 an ornamental coating to a building [syn: facing] v : cover with veneer; "veneer the furniture to protect it"
- Rhymes: -ɪə(r)
- A thin decorative covering of fine wood applied to coarser wood or other material.
- An attractive appearance that covers or disguises true nature or feelings.
thin covering of fine wood
- Danish: finér
- Finnish: viilu
- German: Furnier
- Norwegian: finér
covering or disguising appearance
- Finnish: julkisivu
- German: Fassade
- Norwegian: ferniss
A veneer is a thin covering over another surface. More specifically, it may refer to:
- Wood veneer, a term used in architecture and woodworking
- Veneer, a single wythe of brick
- Veneer (dentistry), a thin layer of dental restorative material
- Veneer masonry, a layer of masonry such as bricks or stone used as building cladding and not imparting any structural strength to the wall
- Stone veneer, manufactured stones
- Veneer (album), José González's debut album
appearance, aspect, board, brick, clapboard, coat, coating, collop, cover, covering, cursoriness, cut, deal, disguise, disk, enamel, epidermis, extenuate, exteriority, facade, face, facing, false front, feuille, film, finish, flap, foil, fold, front, fur, glass, glaze, gloss, gloss over, guise, lacquer, lamella, lamina, laminated glass, laminated wood, lap, lath, leaf, mask, membrane, mere scratch, no depth, no water, outward show, paint, pane, panel, paper, patina, peel, pellicle, pinprick, plait, plank, plate, plating, ply, plywood, rasher, revet, revetment, rind, safety glass, scale, scratch, scum, shake, shallowness, sheathe, sheet, shingle, shoaliness, show, skin, slab, slat, slate, slice, slightness, stone, sugarcoat, superficiality, superficies, surface, table, tablet, thatch, tile, triviality, varnish, wafer, wall in, wall up, wallpaper, weatherboard, white, whiten, whitewash, window dressing